This one-day course aims to raise awareness of safeguarding issues in a retail environment, highlighting an organisation’s responsibilities and duty of care to staff, volunteers and public, plus possible responses to an incident. It is designed for managers, deputy managers, lead volunteers or anyone with responsibility in or for a retail environment.
- Gain a general overview about abuse and it negative effects on people
- Identify your organisation's responsibilities relating to abuse
- Know what to do if abuse is discovered / suspected in your organsiation
- Establish what safeguarding is and how it relates to you
- Identify 6 types of abuse and what specific signs / symptoms to look for
- Explore ways to help prevent abuse through various scenarios
- Consider what action is needed should you discover or suspect abuse
- Welcomes and housekeeping
- What is safeguarding
Who is vulnerable?
Why are you doing this training?
- Video - What did you see
- The 6 main types of abuse
How people can be abused
Signs & symptoms
- Abuse - by whom
- Relevant facts and statistics
- What to do if you discover or suspect abuse
Information for senior staff
We can also include an 'add on' session for clients who need information for senior staff re: How to reduce potential risks to your organisation (reporting, policies, procedures, recruiting, etc). There is an additional charge of £80 for this to be added to the day (an extra 45 minutes is needed to include this element).
For Senior Managers ('add on session')
- How to reduce potential risks
Organisation pathway / checklist
- Who to contact - Reporting an incident
- External support and guidance
- When and how to go 'Public'
Up to 6.25 hours (i.e. 10am to 4:15 pm) including breaks and 45 minutes for lunch. An extra 45 minutes is required for those wanting to add the Senior Managers Session.
Type of organisation
charitable/not for profit
Course delivery, training materials, handouts, evaluations and certificates for up to 16 participants.
NB: Additional travel costs may apply for any booking over 80 miles and may be invoiced separately, charged at 45p per mile for car use and / or actual costs of alternative methods of travel. Accommodation costs will be based on individual hotel bookings and will include reasonable subsistence costs dependent on location conditions, applicable at the time.